Hand Therapy (CHT)
Hand therapy is a type of rehabilitation performed by a licensed physical therapist, occupational therapist, or certified hand therapist with patients that suffer from conditions, injuries or ailments to the hands and upper extremities. Patients seek rehabilitation to return to their functions of daily living and regain a pain-free, productive lifestyle.
Hand therapy patients may have been effected by trauma which resulted in wounds, scars, burns, injured tendons or nerves, fractures, or even amputations of the fingers, hands or arms. Other patients may suffer from conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, tennis elbow, or chronic problems such as arthritis.
Hand therapy can provide the following:
- Treatments without an operation
- Help with recent or long-lasting pain
- Help to reduce sensitivity from nerve problems
- Learning to feel again after a nerve injury
- Learning home exercise programs to help with movement and strength
- How to make splints to help prevent or improve stiffness
- Learning to complete everyday activities with special tools
- Help getting back to work
If surgery is needed, hand therapists can also help with a patient’s recovery. This may include assistance with helping wounds heal, preventing infection, scar treatment and reducing swelling.
Hand therapy at JAG-ONE Physical Therapy
JAG-ONE Physical Therapy proudly offers hand therapy throughout the local communities of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. We understand the importance of returning our hand therapy patients to full function, feeling stronger and pain free! For more information about our services or to schedule an appointment at one of our convenient facilities, please contact us today.